Website Donvale Christian College
Donvale Christian College, VIC
Position: Certificate III Traineeship
Accountable to: Outdoor Education Coordinator
Outdoor Education staff- Year 9 Campus
Major Relationships: Outdoor Education Coordinator
Outdoor Education Staff
Time Fraction & Duration: Full time, one-year fixed term traineeship contract (Dec 2022 – Dec 2023)
Salary: Wage Level ‘B’ of the National Training Wage
$443.00 per week, as per the current award 1 Nov 2022
Applicants are invited to provide a concise curriculum vitae including personal details, church involvement, career experience, academic attainments and addressing the criteria listed in the Position Description.
Applications which will be received as advertised until 31st August 2022 and should be marked ‘Outdoor Education Trainee’ sent via email to: email@example.com
Please note that the College does not accept unsolicited agency approaches. We expect candidates to apply directly.
Donvale Christian College:
Donvale Christian College is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne having opened in 1975. The current
enrolment is over 1500 students from Prep to Year 12 and the total number of employees is approximately 300.
Donvale Christian College is governed, as provided for in its Constitution, by the College Board. The Board are elected by the members of the College. The full range of Christian denominations is represented in the parent body of the College. There is no position on the Board elected or appointed by any single church community. The Board is totally elected by the membership of Donvale Christian College Ltd. The Principal is appointed by the Board and together they appoint staff.
Members of the Donvale Christian College community come from many different Christian faith traditions, and to ensure a sense of harmony between home and School, the College has adopted a Statement of Faith based on a Christian worldview. All parents and Staff are specifically asked if their faith commitment is echoed in the words of this Statement of Faith and they are requested to indicate agreement when applying for the enrolment of their children or employment at the College.
Staff members are expected to actively support the Christian aims of the College and to be members of a Bible based worship community.
The College is committed to promoting and protecting the interests and safety of children. We have zero tolerance for child abuse. Everyone working at the College is responsible for the care and protection of children. All potential employees and volunteers will be required to comply with the College’s Child Safety Code of Conduct and the College’s Child Protection and Safety Policy. Applicants are required to provide a valid Working with Children Check/VIT and will be subject to background checking in accordance with this policy.
The core business of Donvale Christian College is to be a biblically directed learning community. Everyone and everything in this community serves this purpose. Each person in the College community is gifted by God to make his or her contribution to the learning and teaching for which God has brought the College into being.
All staff are required to:
• Perform their responsibilities in a manner which reflects the College’s mission, objectives and philosophy. Staff are expected to role model an active Christian faith that will be demonstrated in part by an active involvement in the wider Christian Church.
• Be Christian role models and examples to all people associated with the College.
• Participate in leading College devotions that involve staff and students.
All staff are expected to perform their responsibilities in a manner which reflects the College’s mission, objectives and philosophy.
This position supports the College by assisting the Outdoor Education staff in the preparation of programs.
- 0.167 days holiday loading for every field day worked
- Work/training may be on weekends, over public and school holidays.
- The trainee is responsible for all course fees i.e., enrolment, ancillary etc. 2022 fees were $2,955 (concession) or $14,775 (subsidised) plus electives. 2023 fees are yet to be determined but may increase. See https://www.oeti.edu.au/traineeships/certificate-iii for more information.
Compulsory aspects of training for Donvale Christian College Certificate III Trainees
- Outdoor Education theory
- Challenge Ropes
- First aid
- Canoe (flat water)
- Mountain Bike (encouraged)
General duties and responsibilities
- to work/assist on school programs
- to run activities and assist whilst on programs
- to help ensure the smooth and successful running of all programs
- to assist in packing and unpacking of equipment before and after programs
- monitoring and maintenance of equipment
General Programs Overview
When rostered to programs the following will generally be supplied depending on the type of program;
- Transportation to the venue and return
- General activity equipment
- Accommodation- a tent
Training Programs Overview
When participating in training individuals are responsible for the follow but not limited to;
- Accommodation/camping (briefing notes will provide more detail)
- Food for the program
- Transport to and from location
- Equipment (specific activity equipment will be supplied)
Example of duties
While at school
- Assisting with the preparation of programs
- Pre-camp administration
- Equipment: packing, unpacking, cleaning/washing & fixing
- Maintain a clean and tidy storeroom
- Stock take of equipment
- Assist with Year 9 and Year 10 Outdoor Education classes
- Other duties as needed.
Journey Based Programs (Outdoor Education, and Year 9 Wilderness)
- Assisting/conducting activities
- Staying overnight on Year 9 and Year 10 Outdoor Education and Year 9 Wilderness camps
- Assisting course coordinators on program
- Food preparation and distribution
- Supporting staff as needed.
Year Level Camps, and Year 9 integrated experiences
- Assist with meal coordination and clean-up
- Staying overnight at all year level camps
- Assisting/conducting onsite activities
- Supporting Year Level school and Outdoor Education coordinator as needed.
- Packing of sports kits
- Maintain a clean and tidy storeroom
- Coach a school sports team
- Sports administration
- Other duties as needed
- A motivated person who can show initiative and work on their own as well as in a team.
- Ability to work well with teenagers.
- Well-presented and able to speak in front of groups of students and teachers.
- A current Working with Children Check Employee card is essential.
- A current driver’s license
- Obtain first aid certification through the College’s First Aid training.
All staff are expected to:
- Attend staff retreat and all College-organised professional learning activities.
- Support the College’s guidelines and policies.
- Implement the programs, teaching practices and other activities as decided by the College.
- Perform their responsibilities in a manner which reflects and responds to continuous improvement.
- Contribute to the efficient and effective functioning of their teams to meet organisational objectives. This includes demonstrating appropriate and professional workplace behaviours, helping team members if required and undertaking other key responsibilities or activities as directed by one’s supervisor.
- Perform their responsibilities in a manner which reflects the College’s zero tolerance for child abuse and in accordance with the College’s Child Safety policies.
- Comply with all College policies including Occupational Health and Safety.
Applications to include:
- Applications which will be received as advertised until 31st August 2022 and should be marked “Outdoor Education Trainee” sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Including a covering letter
- Provide a concise curriculum vitae including personal details, church involvement, experience and academic attainments.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.